logo
english italiano


Removing amalgam

The debate on the toxicity of the old amalgam fillings containing mercury (the so-called “fillings”) is continuously under discussion in the scientific community. These reconstructions were made with amalgam of various metals (mainly silver and copper in solid form) held together, that is amalgamated, by a liquid binder, precisely, by mercury.
Beyond the hazardous properties of amalgam , it can be said with confidence that mercury is a toxic substance and therefore also its removal, it requires a precise protocol, in order to avoid patient exposure to the vapors of mercury that are released during the removal of the old filling.
First, patient and medical staff should take appropriate protections from nasal inhalation of mercury vapor through various measures (nasal masks, masks with filters, etc.) and must be guaranteed an optimal ventilation and containment of the work area (for both the patient and the dental staff).
Then proceed with the placement of a rubber dam (sheet of latex that covers the mouth leaving out only the teeth to be treated). This procedure is the same that is used for all reconstructions of the teeth but in this case, it is particularly useful to prevent the patient from swallowing the mixture of water, air and amalgam particles that are released during milling. The residues must be readily aspirated by the assistant with a vacuum at high speed and are not to be ingested by the patient.
Of particular importance are the drills that must be of good quality to ensure a clean cut with a lower temperature of contact and thus lower emissions of vapors. Removed amalgam then the next step is the reconstruction of the tooth with a composite material as routine.